
Are any of you tired of hearing, "I don't like that" from your children? I surely am. Especially from a certain little boy. Well yesterday I was making dinner and cutting up a pepper and an onion for a salad. Dawson goes on about not liking salad and all he was going to eat was the ravioli. I said whatever and went on making dinner. Well then Cait had to open her big mouth and tell Dawson that we had stayed up late Saturday watching Ichabod Crane. That started a whole new whining session. Dawson went on crying that he didn't get to stay up (he fell asleep in the car, what could I do?). So I told him, "If you eat one little red pepper you can stay up a half hour longer tonight." Oh the tears started to flow. He wanted to stay up so bad but eating a pepper was just too hard. So I offered even more, if he would take a big bite out of an onion, like you would an apple, he could stay up tonight too. OH, I wish I would have gotten a video of him crying. AFV winner for sure. He was so devastated. He wanted the reward so bad. So I offered again. If he would eat a whole leaf of lettuce he could stay up three nights in a row. Poor kid just couldn't do it! He was nearly defeated! But then big sister steps up to the plate and took on the onion. It took her a while but she did eventually take a huge bite, chew and swallow. To Dawson that made it look a little less intimidating. Still he cried and just didn't want to. Finally, we started counting down for him to decide if he was going to do it or not. We got to 5 he grabbed the little piece of pepper, chewed and swallowed. SURPRISE! Not as bad as he thought it was going to be. He even ate a little piece of onion and had a salad at dinner. Sadly, like the bad mother I am, I laughed my stinking head off. Seriously, it was hilarious. Hey today for dinner we had Papa Murphy's pizza with onions on it and the boy ate it! Maybe he won't be so scared to try new things anymore?
4 comments:
That was a great psychology trick - may I borrow it for Ash?
If only that worked with Dallin... he'll try it one night cause we always say "if mom makes something for dessert you won't get any if you don't at least try it" so he'll try it and like it and then next time I make it, it starts all over again...... Honestly, I am so there with you!
I wouldn't say you're mean. Just thinking outside the box.
I love it!
Sheesh...I just wish I had time to fix a real dinner! You've inspired me. Onions and all......I have to say, I'm with Buddy....:-)
Post a Comment